Saturday, May 2, 2009

Salsa (dancing) spice of life

Salsa, merengue, bachata: my new new-found Latin loves.
Through the virtual word-of-mouth of Facebook, I learned a student in my engineering program, Angel, was taking salsa lessons. Joining this group, with its cadre of international graduate student students and outstanding instructor, a competitive salsa dancer, has recharged my energy in life.

Amazingly, the instructor, out of the goodness of his heart, donates both his instruction and the use of his danceroom to the group. (Janet Evanovich fans: the instructor is a Ranger look-alike.) The group throws occasional Friday night dance parties. The dancing of the advanced students is variously like poetry in motion or, in one case, like catalytic reaction. So exciting and inspiring.
At first I was self-conscious being the oldest student in the class, but found that as I've relaxed, I've become a [slightly] better dancer. For instance, following the man's lead is much easier when relaxed.

I've always admired--an envied--good dancers of every type. Although I am neither a natural dancer nor a particularly coordinated person, I'm thrilled at this entre into the world of Latin dancing.


Miguel and Jan


Miguel and Angel


JC (instructor) and Anita

3 comments:

Her Artichoke Heart said...

Hey, that is really cool! I've been thinking about taking a dance class, but I'm a little intimidated, and I also wasn't sure which kind of dance to start with. Maybe I should give salsa a try....

Waitress from Mensa said...

Latin dancing: highly recommended. I had to take a deep breath before plunging into this class, but I fortified myself with the adage: the only way to grow is to get out of one's comfort zone. It's so exhilarating. See http:/www.addicted2salsa.com for outstanding beginning and intermediate instruction. In New York City, salsa is danced "On 2" with the 8 count starting on the second beat. Same steps, just starts one beat later.

James Martin said...

Well,

Learning salsa is now very convenient and enjoyable. You can easily learn the basic steps of salsa
in the convenience of your own home - all in just a few clicks away. In addition, you can dictate your own learning pace, if you want it to be fast or slow, depending on your own preference of learning. There are lots of ways to learn, surely you will find out the rights means that will suit you.